skateboard
Lowrette

Skateboard Lessons, Nationwide. Enroll Now.

Realization

53v3n
53v3n
Last night, my neighbour and I went to the one skatepark in town. I've never been to one before. I just usually skate parking lots and the road infront of my house. First, I had tonnes of fun. The speed I get from going down the pyramids and stuff was awesome....then I tried the quarter pipe. I can kick turn on them and go down no problem. but when I try to go up and then go down switch I loose my balance.

I came to realize that I have no balance riding switch. I have very good balance riding normally though. My body just doesnt seem to know how to balance switch.

besides practicing LOTS riding switch on flat ground, does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my switch riding...

ANY TIPS would be very much appriciated.

17 April 2009 at 10:14

Last night, my neighbour and I went to the one skatepark in town. I've never been to one before. I just usually skate parking lots and the road infront of my house. First, I had tonnes of fun. The speed I get from going down the pyramids and stuff was awesome....then I tried the quarter pipe. I can kick turn on them and go down no problem. but when I try to go up and then go down switch I loose my balance.

I came to realize that I have no balance riding switch. I have very good balance riding normally though. My body just doesnt seem to know how to balance switch.

besides practicing LOTS riding switch on flat ground, does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my switch riding...

ANY TIPS would be very much appriciated.
Last night, my neighbour and I went to the one skatepark in town. I've never been to one before. I just usually skate parking lots and the road infront of my house. First, I had tonnes of fun. The speed I get from going down the pyramids and stuff was awesome....then I tried the quarter pipe. I can kick turn on them and go down no problem. but when I try to go up and then go down switch I loose my balance. I came to realize that I have no balance riding switch. I have very good balance riding normally though. My body just doesnt seem to know how to balance switch. besides practicing LOTS riding switch on flat ground, does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my switch riding... ANY TIPS would be very much appriciated.

danodan
danodan
Try simple switch tricks, like shuvs, fs shuvs, ollies, and maybe 180s, but wait, you can't ride up a quarter and ride back fakie? That's easier then doing a kickturn, all you have to do is stay standing.

17 April 2009 at 11:43

Try simple switch tricks, like shuvs, fs shuvs, ollies, and maybe 180s, but wait, you can't ride up a quarter and ride back fakie? That's easier then doing a kickturn, all you have to do is stay standing.
removed__Kim
removed__Kim
or just ride switch as fast as you can for a start, that helped me (Y)

17 April 2009 at 13:56

or just ride switch as fast as you can for a start, that helped me
53v3n
53v3n
Im thinking my trucks are a lil too loose for it. or probably I just have my feet positioned a lil wrong. Im not skilled enough yet to do any switch tricks. :( I have a four day weekend so I can try to just skate around at the river riding switch. I think its easier for me to do kickturns cause when I first started skating I had a banana board and only knew about the oldschool tricks, pre-bowl riding days. Im still gonna go back to the park on another day (night time so I dont look foolish messing up every 13 seconds...lol) so I can practice some more. Im also hoping my neighbour and I get time to fix up his miniramp so I can practice on that too

17 April 2009 at 14:08

Im thinking my trucks are a lil too loose for it. or probably I just have my feet positioned a lil wrong.

Im not skilled enough yet to do any switch tricks.

I have a four day weekend so I can try to just skate around at the river riding switch.

I think its easier for me to do kickturns cause when I first started skating I had a banana board and only knew about the oldschool tricks, pre-bowl riding days. Im still gonna go back to the park on another day (night time so I dont look foolish messing up every 13 seconds...lol) so I can practice some more.

Im also hoping my neighbour and I get time to fix up his miniramp so I can practice on that too
removed__Kim
removed__Kim
tight your trucks, but you won't be able to turn slightley so pull up board nose when you want to turn to some side. tighter trucks - better ballance :)

17 April 2009 at 14:57

tight your trucks, but you won't be able to turn slightley so pull up board nose when you want to turn to some side. tighter trucks - better ballance
53v3n
53v3n
Yesterday my neighbour and I fixed up his mini ramp to make it somewhat skatable. (still needs new plywood for the top) and after about half hour on it, I was skating switch. not really good but good enough not to fall off. Now we just need to relevel his yard, and get new plywood for the top so it will be a smoother ride. so I can get better at vert.

11 May 2009 at 12:26

Yesterday my neighbour and I fixed up his mini ramp to make it somewhat skatable. (still needs new plywood for the top) and after about half hour on it, I was skating switch. not really good but good enough not to fall off.

Now we just need to relevel his yard, and get new plywood for the top so it will be a smoother ride. so I can get better at vert.
faze
faze
Ride switch fast. :)

11 May 2009 at 15:24

Ride switch fast.
Amb!quity
Amb!quity
That doesn't seem like a very good idea.. If you don't have a lot of balance switch, you definitely shouldn't try riding fast at all... :/

11 May 2009 at 16:10

That doesn't seem like a very good idea..

If you don't have a lot of balance switch, you definitely shouldn't try riding fast at all...
danodan
danodan
Nope, just try to ride around switch, ride up and from quarterpipes, banks, hips, just slow and low first, but higher as you become more confident.

12 May 2009 at 07:42

Nope, just try to ride around switch, ride up and from quarterpipes, banks, hips, just slow and low first, but higher as you become more confident.

JOIN and get FREE skateboard stuff!

The skateboard was invented in 1967.